Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I'm a volunteer for the City of Thousand Oaks. Here you will find updates on environmental programs, recycling, and other information I feel is news-worthy in the City. I hope you enjoy!

www.toaks.org/GoGreen

Recent News

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Holiday Gift that Warmed my Heart

How My Pet’s Love is My Holiday Gift

This post is going to be a bit different than the usual environmental news. It’s a story about me, the author of this blog and bit about my journey in life.
It’s been almost a year since I lost my job. As a result, my health, financial well being, and self worth have all been adversely affected. To top it all off, in early 2010 I lost my beloved puppy dog of 13 years, Bu, to old age. My heart was truly broken. At 28 years old, I had begun to view the glass as half empty. I knew I needed change. As the holiday season quickly approached, both my heart and home felt empty and ached for the love of a new dog.
After 2 months of pleading with my significant other, I was finally able to convince him to journey with me to the pound to, “look” at the animals there. We honestly had no intentions to adopt that day because it was the first time either of us had been to an animal shelter. Within minutes, we were both teary-eyed at the lost souls and beautiful lives that yearned for a place to call home. After touring the facility, we found the perfect match; a 1 year old German shepherd-mutt. If animals could cry, I guarantee that this one had done her fair share. From her kennel, she gently watched as we approached and said hello. Without a peep, she searched for our hearts and silently begged for a place to call home. There was no way I could leave this poor animal there! We filled out the proper paperwork and got ready for a new addition to our household.
Since the moment I brought my new pet home, I’ve been in love. Every morning my new best friend pokes her cute little face under my blanket to gently remind me that it’s time to wake up, exercise and eat a healthy breakfast! She wags her tail and gets excited with me during the times I have strong job prospects, but also waits patiently by my side during the teary-eyed days I get rejection. She is a genuine friend and I couldn’t have asked for more. To some awful person, my doggy was a throw away, but to me she is an absolute treasure. She gives me hope for a brighter days and faith that life isn’t measured by a paycheck or title. She loves me unconditionally and that’s why as 2010 comes to an end, her love is the greatest holiday gift I could ask for and the greatest gift of all.

Happy Holidays to each and every one of you!

Please be sure to give the most important gift of all to your pet this holiday season, the gift of health:Trupanion Pet Insurance


-Sheri Smith

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous story! And not only kind hearted, but a beauty as well. :)
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this story gave me goosebumps. Thank you for bringing her home!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget