Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I'm a volunteer for the City of Thousand Oaks. Here you will find updates on environmental programs, recycling, and other information I feel is news-worthy in the City. I hope you enjoy!

www.toaks.org/GoGreen

Recent News

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recycle Your Old Tennis Shoes!

As a local triathlete and runner, I often go through as many as 5 pairs of shoes a year. This got me thinking, what a total waste to chuck those in the trash and add to our already growing landfill. With a bit of research I discovered that the City of Thousand Oaks is a huge advocate for recycling those old tennis shoes!

Turns out, the City is part of a national program to collect and recycle athletic shoes. All brands of old athletic shoes (sneakers), along with defective pairs donated by Nike, are collected, ground up and turned into surfaces for use on local athletic courts. How cool is that?

Waste Management, Harrison Industries and Gold Coast Recycling support the program. Shoes must be clean and free of mud with no metal, cleats, or spikes. Please do not place in your curbside container. for a list of Thousand Oaks area athletic shoe drop off locations Click Here. Also visit the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe Program for additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget